Thursday, May 11, 2006

Gotta love the SLUG

At the community college I attend, we have a LUG named SLUG. I went to my first meeting tonight. The company of other geeks, of the Linux variety. I'm hooked.

Only three other people there. They made their case for Ubuntu, based on ease of installation and use. For those who have read my blog so far, obviously ease of installation and use isn't my top priority; I'm happy to bang my head against the proverbial wall as long as I eventually figure out to climb over it.

OTOH, it sounds like an interesting project for my Athlon 1100 box. Especially since the topic of discussion at today's SLUG was using Ubuntu to create a DVR system -- and it can be done with something as old as my 1100 box.

On the ATI sucks front, I discussed my issues with the guys at the SLUG. The advice I got was that one can't rely upon the stability of a 64-bit port. And it also doesn't help that I installed a beta (Slamd64-10.2b).

So I have resolved to give up on the 64-bit port for now and install Slackware 10.2. As for the Athlon 1100 box, I'm thinking of installing Ubuntu.

No comments: