Saturday, April 15, 2006

Slackware without a Hard Drive

Today's experiment is to create a cd containing Slax, which is a live CD based on Slackware. That way, I can toy with something close to Slackware right away, even though I'm not ready to install Slackware to my hard drive.

I extracted the files in the .iso with almighty WinRAR, then erased the cd and wrote the extracted files and modules. Made sure the computer boots from the DVD drive, reboot, and... No joy. It booted Windows.

Fine, I'll RTFM.

I downloaded md5sum and checked the integrity of my .iso. Effing grr... An hour to download, and the checksum doesn't match. Downloaded again, this time from the ftp site, rather than the html site. Checksum matched, so on to add my modules and burn with Nero.

Reboot, and... Well, it tried. Bios not found?! It hung while attempting to boot. I hope it's not because I'm trying to run it on an AMD64 machine. Damn, I don't want to hook up my Athlon 1100 box.

The Slax forum has posts by people running Slax on AMD64 machines, so I don't think that's it. Which means I have a mystery with few clues.

Okay, I referred to the Slax cheatcodes and tried the boot code acpi=off. It actually loaded. Yay! I managed to play Linux' version of JezzBall! (After all, aren't lame arcade games the most important capability of a computer?) No detection of my wireless card, so that's the next objective.

No comments: